Register now for Firefighter Apprentices and Future Leader Apprentices before the online registration portal closes at 12 noon on 13th January 2020.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers the opportunity for those aged 18 years and above who are committed to learning new skills to complete three-year apprenticeship programmes.
The Firefighter and Future Leader Apprenticeships follows a structured ‘Skills for Justice’ training programme which provides understanding and a clear pathway for the role of a modern firefighter and manager.
Firefighter Apprentices complete a training programme which results in them becoming a ‘competent’ firefighter and, just as importantly, achieving exposure to the wide range of functions that contribute to the delivery of a modern fire and rescue service.
North Wales Fire and Rescue responds to a variety of different incidents such as fires, road traffic collisions, flooding, wildfires and chemical spills but our apprentices also learn how our teams and partners raise awareness and prevent incidents by delivering community safety advice and educational programmes.
The Future Leader Apprentice framework incorporates the firefighter apprentice training modules but with additional development to prepare for the role of supervisory manager and above.
Competencies and skills to be demonstrated:
- Future Leaders – a minimum of 2 A Levels and GCSE in English/Welsh and Maths.
- Firefighter Apprentice – GCSE A-C in English/Welsh and Maths.
- Success at the National Fire Selection Aptitude and Fitness Tests - apprentices are put through their paces so need to be physically fit to undertake the operational training course to learn firefighting skills, including wearing breathing apparatus, dealing with hazardous materials and attending road traffic collisions, working at height in enclosed spaces, and working outdoors in all weather and environmental conditions.
- Pass the Service’s entry medical examination
- Demonstrate/Achieve Welsh Language Level 2 skills